Pumphouse Steam Museum, Kingston, Ontario

Pumphouse Steam Museum - Osborne-Killey steam engine

By Andy Adams

While the Osborne-Killey steam engine is a wonderful thing to see, we especially wanted to let you know that the steam launch Phoebe is on display there too. Built in 1914, the Phoebe is located under a timber frame structure built in 2008 by high school students and their teacher. 

The Phoebe is a 48-foot historic steam launch built in Kingston in 1914 by the Davis Dry Dock Company for the world renowned astronomer, inventor and instrument maker, Dr. John Brashear. John named the boat after his wife Phoebe Stewart. John was from an early age on, interested in astronomy but he trained as a mechanic. John and Phoebe married young and both contributed immensely to the sciences in the late 1800s, the Gilded Age in North America. 


Pump House Steam Museum, Kingston with Historic Steam Yacht Phoebe


Museum open year round. Check website for hours.




Pumphouse Steam Museum - Phoebe Pumphouse Steam Museum Building Pumphouse Steam Museum - Posters display
















More Photo Tours:

ACBS Toronto, Summer Boat Show, Gravenhurst, Ontario

Canadian Canoe Museum, Peterborough, Ontario

Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston, Ontario

Gananoque, Ontario, Thousand Islands – Boldt Castle Yacht House

Antique Boat Museum, Clayton, New York

Vancouver Wooden Boat Festival, Granville Island, Vancouver, B.C.


Victoria Classic Boat Festival, Victoria, B.C.

Related Articles

Pursuit S268 Sport CC

By Andy Adams

The Pursuit S 268 Sport centre console is a do-it-all kind of boat with a solid sense of style. Centre console designs have been developed for the southern blue water sport fishing enthusiasts (and this boat would raise fish with the best of them) but the Pursuit S 268 Sport centre console offers far more utility and enjoyment than just fishing.

Read More


Bayfield Marine Turns 40 with Big April Events

(l to r) Holly, Adam, Pat, Ron, Shelley

Ron and Pat Reder started out in October 1984 across the road from where they are right now on the Bayfield River in Bayfield ON. The store front was about 10 x 20 and the rest of that side of the building was a stock room, wood finishing room, then behind that was more back stock and the lunchroom. Expanding every few years for the store front, then moving over to this new building five years ago, this year with Adam, Shelley, and Holly are carrying on the business.

Read More