Oct 12, 2023
The Canadian Safe Boating Council hosts both in person and virtual workshops facilitated by Dr. Gordon Giesbrecht (aka Professor Popsicle) of the University of Manitoba and world-renowned expert in hypothermia.
CSBC’s virtual workshops are held over two evenings totaling 5 hours. The cost to register is $100. Please note that the course instruction will be in English only. Workshops are 8-10:30 pm ET
The 2023 dates: Tuesday, October 17 & Thursday, October 19 and Tuesday, November 28 & Thursday, November 30
To find out more about taking part in our next workshop or to host your own for your organization, click here.
Maybe you’re just interested in finding out a little more about how our bodies react to cold water immersion. You may be a first responder wanting to learn more about how to maximize the survival of potentially hypothermic individuals you’re called upon to rescue, these workshops are for you. These give you a great grounding in the following:
- Understanding the Myths Around Cold Water Immersion and Hypothermia
- How Our Bodies React to Heat and Cold Stimuli
- 4 Ways Our Bodies Lose Heat
- What Happens to Our Bodies When Immersed in Cold Water
- Immersion vs. Submersion in Cold Water
- Cold Water Survival and Thermal Protective Clothing
- How to Get Back in Your Boat Should You Fall Overboard and are Alone
- Basic First Response… When You’re The Only One Who Can Help!
- Victim Extraction, Packaging, Triage and Transport to EMS
- The Decision to Stay or Swim When You’re on Your Own
- Ice Assisted and Self-Rescue